Yuma Lutheran School opened its doors in 1957 and at that time was known as Calvary Lutheran School. The school began with kindergarten and by 1962 had grown to include classes through 4th grade. In 1964, the school offered kindergarten through grade six. During that same year, a sister church was born — Christ Lutheran Church. A brief service for the laying of the cornerstone was held on January 3, 1965. On January 31, a service of dedication for the new structure was held. On Sunday, February 7, 1965, Christ Lutheran Church held its first regular Sunday morning service.
This was also a special day for the school — moving day. The name of the school at that time was changed from Calvary Lutheran School to Yuma Lutheran School. The school was given the name it presently carries because it was jointly operated by two congregations. After a few years, Calvary Lutheran Church yielded its rights to Yuma Lutheran School to the congregation of Christ Lutheran Church.
In May of 1967 the school celebrated its first 8th grade graduation. Since that time, there have been numerous expansion and improvement projects. The most recent one involved the construction of a 10,000 ft2 gymnasium including classrooms to expand the middle school wing. We thank and praise God for all of His blessings and pray that Yuma Lutheran School, a ministry of Christ Lutheran Church, will continue to be a bold witness to the Truth of the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ.